One of the most common hair problems people experience with hair is that it has “split” ends. This problem is damage to the hair itself, but why does this damage happen?
Hair is an extruded strand of a special protein material called keratin. Extruded meaning that the growth center is a hair follicle within the skin. As new hair is manufactured and pushed outward, the strand of hair lengthens. The rate of growth for hair is about 0.5 inches per month and most hair styles have an average hair length of 12 inches or more. That equates to the end of the hair strand being present for about two years. During this time, many acts of washing with shampoo plus hair colorings, perms, etc. may have occurred. The result is a frayed end of the keratin shaft that we call a “split end.”
Because keratin becomes dry and brittle if natural oils are not replaced, it is important to maintain the proper moisture content in your hair. Oils derived naturally from animal sources are able to completely penetrate and absorb. Neither vegetable oil (cocoa butter, corn oil), nor mineral based oils (petroleum, Vaseline) have any penetration and the softness derived from them doesn’t last.
To restore soft, luxurious hair, use Theraderm Enriched Moisturizer on your hair once a week until the hair is restored. The process is quite simple and works every time.
- Wash hair using warm water and ½ teaspoon Theraderm Cleansing Wash.
- Slightly more water will cause a more “sudsy” feel.
- Rinse hair and scalp well.
- While hair is still very wet, use ½ teaspoon of Theraderm Enriched Facial Moisturizer and apply to several places (4-6) on scalp.
- Work thoroughly and evenly into scalp AND hair and leave in place for 10 minutes. You may wrap hair in towel during this time.
Since this moisturizer is lanolin enriched, it restores natural oils to both scalp skin and hair. The benefits are to prevent/eliminate “split ends” in hair strands and to restore a soft scalp that doesn’t itch.
- Now re-wash hair to remove excess moisturizer and dry with low heat or room temperature until dry.
Repeat every 6-12 weeks if needed. Hair should gain luxurious texture, softness, and shine. The scalp should stop having flakes, itching or irritation!