Over the past few years, one of hottest terms in skincare has been, microdermabrasion. And why not? It is the most popular non-invasive aesthetic procedure for two reasons: there is relatively no downtime with no discomfort and it works. If you are looking for an advanced exfoliation that fits into your busy life, microdermabrasion is for you.
As with any facial procedure, there are few things you need to know.
13 Things You Should Know About Microdermabrasion:
1. There is very little, if any, downtime.
Most clients experience mild redness and sensitivity for 1 0r 2 days after the procedure, but there should be no discomfort or unsightly appearance to the skin if done properly.
2. Microdermabrasion polishes away the dead skin cells on the surface of the skin leaving behind a gorgeous glow.
3. The vacuum action of the procedure serves an aesthetic purpose too.
When your skin care professional “vacuums” the microdermabrasion crystals and dead skin away, the suction process increases blood flow to the surface of the skin which helps deliver oxygen and nutrients for a healthy glow, giving you more bang for your buck.
4. There is great value in numbers.
Repeated treatments can improve skin conditions such as acne breakouts, acne scarring, excessive oiliness, dry/flaking skin, scarring from past conditions such as chicken pox, sun damage, hyperpigmentation, sun spots, blackheads and even stretch marks!
5. The healthier your skin prior to the procedure, the better the results.
Get your skin in tip-top shape with Theraderm Skin Renewal System for even greater results.
6. You can combine microdermabrasion with other treatments.
If you have deep scarring, heavy hyperpigmentation or you just want great results -- pairing microdermabrasion with a chemical peel is a great way to go.
7. Microdermabrasion is great for almost anyone.
It can be performed on all skin tones, including ethnic skins. We would suggest using Theraderm Enlighten Skin Brightener 2 weeks prior, eliminating the chance for post procedure hyperpigmentation.
8. There are a few skin conditions that would make you want to avoid having microdermabrasion done.
Prone to fever blisters
9. Sunscreen will be additionally important post-procedure.
We can’t stress enough that wearing sunscreen daily is important. But wearing it post procedure is imperative to making sure your results last! Theraderm Platinum Protection Facial Sunscreen is the perfect product to keep your skin looking fresh and young. It is an oil-free, SPF 43, broad-spectrum protection that you can wear under your makeup without a white sheen.
10. Microdermabrasion is great for treating large pores.
While the treatment is exfoliating, it will also unclog pores helping them appear smaller.
11. Microdermabrasion can remove moisture from skin.
Following up with a moisturizer will prevent this from happening. Theraderm has three for you to choose from: Enriched for dry or mature skin. Gentle for sensitive skin or Peptide Hydrator for combination skin.
12. Microdermabrasion is great for all ages.
From 12 years old on, microdermabrasion is a great way to treat skin. Keep in mind, that skin older than 70 years, may be more sensitive and is more prone to bruising.
13. You can have it done often as you like.
Your skin care professional can help you with the timing, but you can have microdermabrasion as often as once weekly or spread out as far as every 8-weeks.