Ten things you can do today to lift your spirits and put a smile on your face!
- Plan a party. Invite some friends over…it doesn’t have to be huge. Think theme party. Maybe pick an ingredient and let everyone bring something utilizing that ingredient! It will be fun and interesting. And just planning will allow you to think about decorating and laughter and wine…ok that part might just be me…but I digress. It will get your mind on happy things! Here are a couple ideas:
- wine tasting – everyone bring their fav…you provide snacks
- fruit party – bring your favorite fruit in a dish
- bacon party – try it…who knows?
- potato party – yum!
- Re-decorate a room. This is one of my favs. When I feel “blah” I love to move furniture around. Maybe you want to brighten up your room. Try a slipcover…you can buy pre-made ones, but even a bright colored blanket or accent pillows can make a HUGE difference!
- Organize something! A whole room. A closet. A drawer. I realize this does not work for everyone…but I adore organzing…it makes me feel in control. Powerful. And you accomplish something of worth too!
- FLOWERS! This is your excuse to buy yourself flowers. If you have one of those discount floral shops, buy a spring mix and enjoy arranging them in a vase. Or…buy a plant with bulbs ready to explode! I love watching that miracle unfold!
- Dress up Day! If you have kids…this is VERY fun. Plan a dress up. Boys? Pirate Day. Girls? Princess Day. Make pirate or princess food. Wear your tiara all day long. Watch princess or pirate themed movies. Make crafts. Seriously, it can be very mood lightening to be in costume. I dare you to dress up too.
- Relaxology. Yes, I made that up BUT…one of the easiest and most fabulous mood altering things I love to do. Light candles and sip herbal hot tea. Simple. Luxurious. Fabulous.
- Get OUT of the house! Go see a movie. Something light hearted and funny. Enjoy the popcorn…no guilt today. Let your mind go someplace else!
- MUSIC!Make a FUN music playlist and then crank out!
- Fitness magazine has plenty of great workout lists that are upbeat and fun to listen to. You can check them out here. http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/music/popular-playlists/100-best-workout-songs/?page=2
- Also, I recently discovered the group Quartetto Gelato. http://quartettogelato.ca/view.php even the name makes me smile. How do they discribe themselves? Virtuosic showpieces, romantic tenor arias, gypsy pyrotechniques and a World Accordion Champion – this is Quartetto Gelato. Where music meets theatre and audiences are taken on an unforgettable musical journey!
- Bookstore Therapy! Go to the bookstore. Grab a Chai tea and a magazine and enjoy. The smell of books and coffee mixed together is one of my favorite combinations. I could sit there for hours!
- Friends. Call a girlfriend, or set up a date with the special someone and take a road trip to a restaurant you’ve never been to before. Take a camera with you a snap pics of the two of you, or the scenery. Document the day. Search for the tid bits of joy…you’ll be amazed what you find!
So I challenge you to find one thing to transform your mood. I think you’ll be surprised what just ONE of these suggestions will do. When I’m feeling that “blah” feeling, it just takes one, or a combination to get me right back on track.
And if you decide to have a theme party, can I come?