We all know that our skin is best nourished from the inside out. We often think of skin-healthy foods as those fresh, summery fruits and veggies like grapefruit, peppers, broccoli and greens. Those are wonderful, but did you know that tomatoes are the best source of lycopene — a powerful antioxidant that protects skin from environmental damage??
Homemade tomato sauce is a nourishing, skin-healthy dish that you can serve all year round. Throw it on pasta for a quick and easy meal, or use it as a tasty topping for baked potatoes, fish or even steak and chicken. This is my go-to recipe, inspired by FoodNetwork.com.
chunky tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 (24-ounce) glass jar strained tomatoes (I use Bionaturae – canned tomatoes contain high amounts of BPA… no thank you!)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook slowly for 3-5 minutes, or until it is soft and starting to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute more. (Garlic tends to burn quickly, do watch it carefully.)
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve over pasta, and enjoy!