You may wonder why in the world “Pine Bark Extract” is in the skin care product, OPC Reparative Serum. That’s actually a very good question but let’s begin with a little back history first.
Pycnogenol is a pine bark extract known as a powerful antioxidant with the ability to relieve inflammation and improve the immune and circulatory systems. The first documented use of pine bark for medicinal purposes was by French explorer, Jacques Cartier. Several of his men were struck with scurvy while they were in Canada where citrus fruit is non-existent. They came across an Iroquois Indian who recommended pine bark. Those who received pine bark treatment were fully recovered within 6 days! The antioxidant benefits remained obscure until medical researchers in France discovered Cartier’s story. They decided to research it fully and found that French Maritime Pine Bark contains oligomeric proanthocyanidins, which is an antioxidant-bioflavonoid compound. It is also interesting to note that it contains over 40 different kinds of bioflavonoids making it 20 times more powerful than Vitamin C and 50 times more powerful than Vitamin E as a free radical scavenger.
So what are the benefits and why are they important in skin care? There are several!
- As an antioxidant, pycnogenol helps prevent cell damage and aging
- Reduces inflammation by regulating the immune system
- Promotes a healthy circulatory system
- Bonds directly with collagen and elastin where it can protect skin against ultra-violet rays
- The only natural supplement that stimulates the skin’s hyaluronic acid production by 44%
- Skin health is promoted by the antioxidant activity reducing damage from the sun.