Winter weather is harsh. January can be the most severe month with cold, dry and often windy weather. Three major hazards to the skin, especially the lips which is most often exposed to the elements. Instead of licking your lips to add moisture (which we all know causes more damage!) try these tips for soft, supple lips that will be so kissable by Valentine’s Day!
Tips for kissable winter lips:
- After your warm shower, gently massage your lips with a damp towel. This helps remove dead skin cells. There are also lip exfoliants available for purchase.
- Smear on lip balm before you go to bed each night. Use the creamiest formula you can find (I love brands made with shea butter) . Avoid lip products that contain alcohol or petroleum.
- When out during the cold day, use your swanky scarf to cover your mouth area and protect your lips from the wind.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen! Lips need sun protection, even in the winter so check your lip balm for SPF!
- Apply lip balm often throughout the day. Keep a container in your purse, car, kitchen, bathroom, everywhere that you frequent throughout the day so you have no excuses not to apply!
- If you can’t find your balm, go to the kitchen and pull out honey, olive oil or coconut oil- all can be used as a substitute until your lip balm is located.
- Increase the humidity in your home with a humidifier.
- Avoid long lasting lipsticks as they tend to be drying. There are some pretty tinted balms available that can give you a bit of color along with great moisture!
- Drink plenty of water, eat more Vitamin A, B and C for improved lip health.
Utilizing these tips will keep your lips from suffering this winter and have you ready for the one you want to kiss come February 14!
I want to know…what is your favorite lip balm?