At the end of the month, many of us will be making our way to the Blissdom blogging conference in Nashville, Tennessee. WOO!
Whether you travel by plane, train, or automobile, it’s always a challenge to stay fresh and hydrated.
I used to tank up on caffeinated soft drinks and junkfood when I travelled, and I always arrived at my destination feeling icky and uncomfortable. Nowadays I drink lots of water and stock up on cheese and fruit for snacking, and it’s amazing how much better I feel at the end of a long journey.
Air travel creates a whole other set of issues. The air at 30,000 feet is particularly drying, and you come in contact with all sorts of germs along the way. But with some careful planning and a bit of self-control (move away from the salted peanuts!), you can feel hydrated and fresh upon arrival at your destination and ready to greet all those blogging friends you only know online!
- Bring your own snacks, and plan to buy water after you get through security. Keep drinking water throughout the day to keep your body hydrated. Stay away from salty snacks and caffeinated or alcoholic beverages. I know, I’m no fun at all. But you can make up for it when you get to the hotel!
- Make sure your skin is in good shape before you go. Spring for a facial, or at the very least, exfoliate the night before your trip to remove the top layer of dead skin.
- Plan to wear your hair back, if this is an option for you. Keeping your hair bouncy and full is almost impossible, so you might as well be comfortable.
- The morning of your trip, wash your face and moisturize thoroughly. Pack your favorite moisturizer and your makeup in your carry-on bag, and go bare-faced to the airport. (Just remember to carry liquids in 3-oz containers or the TSA will snatch your beloved lotions and potions before allowing you to proceed to your gate.)
- Along with your moisturizer and makeup bag, pack a toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant so you can easily freshen up upon arrival. If it’s a long flight, moisturize once or twice along the way. I’ve even heard the advice to bring a face mister. Hey, whatever works!
- When you get to your destination city, run into the bathroom, splash fresh water on your face, pat dry, and moisturize. This should help restore moisture to your skin. If you plan to see people you know before you get to your hotel room, take some time to throw on some lipgloss and mascara, and maybe even a little concealer. Run a brush through your hair and fluff.
Now you’re ready to party!
Will I see you at Blissdom? Let me know if you’re going so I can be sure to look for you. If not, be sure to apply these tricks on your next trip and let me know if you arrive feeling fresh and hydrated.