Most of us seek beautiful, glowing skin, but what happens when that glow turns into an oily mess?
Oil glands secrete a wax-like substance, sebum, that can clog hair follicles and pores leading to oily skin and acne.
What else causes oily skin?
- Genetics and hormones play a big role in oil production. Production levels will vary with hormone levels and age and can sometimes be seasonal
- Sun exposure can also increase oil production. Try Theraderm’s oil-free Platinum Protection Facial Sunscreen to reduce the effect of the sun’s harmful rays
- If you wash your face more frequently than necessary, you are removing too much oil from the skin. This triggers a mechanism for the body to make more skin oil
We all have a “t-zone” on our face, which includes the forehead, nasal bridge and between the eyebrows. These areas of thicker skin contain more oil glands. The thinner areas such as the eyelids and lips have only sweat glands. Using oil-based products or makeup can cause these sweat glands to clog, leading to oily skin.
In order to control oil production, it is important to establish a skin care routine that gives your skin everything it needs to be healthy. An example of a regular, healthy skin regiment is the Theraderm Skin Renewal System, which includes:
- Cleansing Wash – This soap-free wash leaves your skin feeling smooth and refreshed
- Fruit Acid Exfoliant – This lactic acid toner exfoliates dull skin cells and stimulates collagen production creating a smooth, even surface for better results from moisturizers
- OPC Reparative Gel – Packed with oligomeric proanthocyanidns (OPCs) to optimize skin health, this antioxidant serum also repairs skin’s signs of aging and prevents sun damage
- Gentle Action Application Pads – These enhance the efficacy of the Fruit Acid Exfoliant
- Peptide Hydrator – This peptide-infused moisturizer is formulated for normal to oil-prone skin
Keep striving to find your skin’s naturally beautiful glow and don’t stress over a little oil!