Did you know that every year, you are losing muscle mass?
I know, how depressing. But you can change that.
By moving and grooving, of course! (Bonus points for weight bearing activities.)
I was never much of an exerciser in my youth. I always tried different things, and nothing really took until I started running a few years ago. I took it to the next level last year and hired a personal trainer, and that has made all the difference as far as sticking with my exercise regimen. Having a standing appointment (and the hole in my pocketbook) keeps me going even when I don’t feel like it.
Everyone is different, and everyone has to find what works for them. The important thing is that you do SOMETHING.
10 Ways to Get Moving
- Grab a friend and take a walk.
- Take a spinning class.
- Like to dance? Try Zumba. Everyone’s talking about it.
- Need some serenity in your life? Maybe yoga is for you.
- Don’t like to leave the house? Pop an exercise DVD into your DVD player and follow along.
- Hop on the treadmill and do 20 minutes of interval training.
- Do a 15-minute calisthenics workout. Think back to grade school — pushups, crunches, leg lifts, planks. You got this!
- Run up and down the stairs for 15 minutes.
- Housework calling? Just 30 minutes of active sweeping, dusting, and vacuuming burns 99 calories.
- Or just get out there and run. You might be surprised how much you like it, even if you haven’t enjoyed it in the past.
I used to think running was boring, but nowadays I am so busy and my mind is so cluttered all day long, those 30-minute runs are like a slice of heaven here on earth. No kids fighting in the background, no social media buzz to overwhelm me. Just me and my iTunes and 3 miles of open road.
It doesn’t matter WHAT kind of exercise you do. It just matters that you are doing SOMETHING. Cuz let’s face it. We’re not getting any younger!
Find an accountability partner and get out there.
What is your favorite thing to do for exercise?