You know how it goes. You start out with these great intentions.
- You will NOT eat fast food.
- You will NOT buy junk at the gas station.
- You will NOT feed your kids anything to keep them quiet. (Wait, that’s just me.)
The point is…unless you have a plan for healthy eating or snacking when you’re traveling, you WILL make bad choices. I have done it plenty of times.
I…along with hundreds of other blogging women…will be descending on Nashville this week for the BlissDom conference. Sometimes we get so caught up with our cute shoes, we forget to care for our bodies. Don’t you want to feel good when you get there?
So whether it be road or air travel…here are some easy tip. You can thank me later – I take dark chocolate and coffee. (Both healthy in moderation…so there!)
- Drink water. Lots of water. Staying hydrated is so good for you. For your skin, for your circulation, for your entire being.
- Bring a water bottle or TEN. Fill it up EVERYtime you stop for a break…every layover in the airport. Always. There will be a bathroom everywhere you go, so don’t let that hold you up. Got it?
- Pack snacks to take along.
- I always have one of those convenience cans of almonds in my car. They are so yummy when you start to get an “I’m hungry NOW” craving. Any kind of nuts really,mixed with dried fruit is a great option. Forget the M&M’s and remember portion control. ( I know, I’m such a drag! )
- Granola, granola bars or protein bars also make a great quick fix snack.
- Fruit. Apples, bananas, pears….did I really need to remind of these things?
- Service Station Stop.
- Step away from the candy aisle. No seriously. Step away. Run if you have to, and take your friend too.
- If you forgot to pack any of the above suggestions, and you HAVE to buy something…they have those items for you to purchase. Just remember, had you brought them from home, you would have more money for cute shoes.
- Airport layover.
- Just last week I ended up in O’Hare airport….starving. There were so many options and it all looked SO GOOD. But I found a little grocery type stand that had all sorts of goodies. I purchased a pre-packaged container of veggies and low fat ranch dip, and a small container of hummus. Not only did I feel better about my choice, I was actually full AND it was so yummy!
- If you HAVE to get a coffee…go for either plain coffee-coffee…or low fat and sugar free. It IS the sugar that kills us.
- And stay away from the bar. Too much money and too many calories. nuff said.
- Stopping at sit down restaurants
- Go with a soup and salad option. Soups, except heavily laden cheese options, are usually packed with veggies and will fill you up. And definitely order salad dressing on the side. My newest habit….dipping my lettuce into the dressing, you use much less. (I saw you roll your eyes!)
- Best option. Split a meal with your traveling partner. Do you really need that huge portion all to yourself? Really?
- And stay away from the bread. This is, and will probably always be, a point of contention in my family. Don’t get me wrong, I love bread. But I don’t love all those carbs. And here’s my motto…please don’t hate me… “If the bread needs butter, it’s not worth eating.” Whew…there, I said it.
- Stopping for fast food.
- You should all know a good choice from a bad choice by now…but just in case….
- Stay away from “deep fried” yes that includes french fries
- Do NOT super size your meal. Forget the value, think of your hips.
- And salad is NOT always the best choice here. They make very unhealthy salads at a fast food JOINT.
- At the hotel
- Ok, your packed snacks are gone and you’re famished. I get that.
- Do not eat the chocolate in your swag bag, (you didn’t think I was watching did you?)
- Vending machine? Look for popcorn or nuts or trail mix
- Ordering pizza, think veggie!
All of these little choices will in the end help you to FEEL better about yourself and truly enjoy your trip. Traveling tends to throw us “off our groove” a little bit as it is, you might as well try to keep in balance as much as possible!
And if you happen to be going to BlissDom…come find me and say hi! I’m one of the “tall girls”. Just don’t slap me about that butter comment!