For many of us, our lips are the one part of our face we often remember to beautify but rarely think to care for. Not just lovely to look at, our lips actually serve a very important purpose in our daily lives.
According to Dr. Jim Beckman, a person’s lips act as a transition junction between their dryer, outer skin and the moist surface of their digestive tract. Day by day, a simple pair of lips must be kept healthy and supple to handle millions of tiny and large movements as a result of:
- Showing emotion in facial expressions
- Kissing a child, friend or spouse as a gesture of love
Unfortunately, our lack of attention to our lips often leaves them subject to harmful radiation from the sun. Not only can exposure to sun rays dry and crack lips, leaving them feeling painful and uncomfortable when conducting any of the activities listed above, but the UV damage resulting from that radiation can potentially lead to skin cancer.
Thankfully, Dr. Beckman has some practical solutions to help keep our lips moist, healthy and happy. Although using products to help soothe and add some protection to dry, cracked lips is good, Dr. B recommends using products that actually prevent the risk of dryness and UV radiation damage altogether:
- Theraderm Anti-Aging Lip Complex, used daily, both protects lips from drying out and repairs lip wrinkles caused by the sun. It can be easily worn without, under or over lipstick.
- Theraderm Platinum Protection Facial Sunscreen can be safely applied directly to your lips under lipstick to protect from cancer-causing UV radiation.
- Theraderm NuPeel® Natural Enzyme Peel can be used on lips once weekly to restore natural, youthful smoothness and softness.
By taking steps to give your lips the care and attention they deserve, you’ll ensure that they are able to give you all the right attention for many years to come.