It’s Forth of July week and it seems fitting to declare independence from something…..so why not wrinkles?!?
The first step in declaring freedom from wrinkles is to understand where they come from and why we get them. They are caused by a combination of factors, some of which you CAN control and others you just can’t:
- Age. No controlling this one – and as the old saying goes, “It’s better than the alternative”, which is death, so yes – it IS actually better. Embrace this fact to age gracefully! As you know, as you get older your skin naturally becomes less elastic and appears saggy. Decreased production of natural oils makes skin drier which accentuates the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Sun Exposure. Exposure to UVA rays MARKEDLY speeds up the aging process and it the primary cause of wrinkling. This exposure breaks down collagen causing skin to lose it’s strength and flexibility.
- Smoking. Smoking slows the blood circulation to the skin’s surface which is essentially robbing your skin of oxygen and other necessary nutrients. The result is accelerated aging.
- Poor Nutrition. Nutritional deficiencies are believed to contribute to skin aging.
Now that you know the main causes of wrinkles, you can create a plan to combat them! Obviously, you can’t control the fact that the calendar continues to roll through the years, but you can control what you look like. Here are a few tips to lessen the appearance of existing wrinkles and prevent future ones from forming.
- WEAR SUNSCREEN. Daily. You are exposed to photo-aging UVA rays from sunrise to sunset. If you don’t do anything else – do this!
- Eat more fish, particularly salmon. Packed full of antioxidants and caratenoids, salmon is a great source of protein which is the building block of skin. Additionally, the essential fatty acids help plump skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Use moisturizer. This seems like a no brainer – but the amount of people who do not use a moisturizer is astonishing. It is one of the easiest ways to lessen the appearance of those lines and wrinkles. Again – it hydrates and restores the lipid barrier which plumps the skin.
- Alpha-hydroxy acid. For best results use lactic acid, which is naturally occurring in our bodies. Not only does it exfoliate gently producing a nice glow, it also hydrates.
- Topical antioxidants. This is an important step! They protect against UVA damage, correct pigment and lessen inflammation and a topical antioxidant will increase collagen production!
- Peptides. Peptides have been proven to diminish fine lines and wrinkles. Again – they stimulate collagen production making them very important in your skin care routine.
- Chemical Peels. In this treatment, a variety of chemicals are used to “burn” away the top layer of skin, creating damage that causes the body to respond by producing more collagen. You end up with younger-looking, smoother skin!
Hopefully these tips will help you “Declare Your Independence from Wrinkles once and for all! Do you have any tips to share?