The older you get, the wiser you are. This also holds true when it comes to beauty. Once you hit the 30-year mark, you should be well versed in what works and what doesn’t and how to keep yourself looking put together.
16 Beauty-Related Truths Every Woman Over the Age 30 Should Know:
1. Taking care of your skin starts on the inside.
Eating bad foods, not drinking water, drinking excessive amounts of alcohol and smoking, will eventually show up on your face. Eat your veggies (like mom said) and drink plenty of water if you want great skin.
2. Don’t get your hair cut or colored when you are hormonal.
Trust us on this one. Let those babies settle down before you do anything rash. Many bad hair decisions are made during "that time of the month."
3. Wear sunscreen.
You knew this was coming. Wear it. Every single day.
4. Keep beauty in perspective.
If you overdo the facial procedures making your face look 20 but the rest of you still looks 50, you may have a bit of a problem. Age gracefully, not plastic-y.
5. Frosted or glitter shadows are best left to the 20-year-old and under crowd.
Again, trust us. They just are.
6. Ever heard of the “painless bikini wax?”
Yeah, neither have we. Don’t trust any spa that offers one. Unless they provide anesthesia, it’s going to hurt.
7. If you want to feel bold, wear red lipstick.
Come on ladies. You know you want to. Nothing boosts your confidence like wearing red lipstick.
8. If you only wash your face once daily, make it before bed.
Please, please do not go to bed with your makeup on. This is when your skin goes into repair mode and if you haven’t washed your face, your skin can’t do its job.
9. Sometimes, it’s the little things that age us.
Yellowed teeth. Outdated hairstyle. Frumpy clothes. These little things can add years to your appearance. Make a few changes and look younger instantly -- no plastic surgery required.
10. Speaking of makeovers, get one at least every 5 years.
Things change and your makeup needs to change along with them.
11. Find a skin care routine you can stick to.
If your skincare has 17 steps and takes you 30 minutes to complete, chances are you aren’t going to stick with it. Skin care doesn’t have to be complicated to be effective. (We happen to know of a great one that takes less than 4 minutes!)
12. Use moisturizer daily. But understand it’s limits.
It will keep your skin hydrated and those fine lines and wrinkles at bay, but it isn’t going to remove deep lines.
13. Self tanners can be your best friend or your worst enemy.
You would be doing yourself a huge favor to do a test run with a few different ones prior to an important event. Under no circumstance should you get a spray tan on the day of your event. And before you go, exfoliate head-to-toe with NuPeel.
14. Don’t perform any DIY facial treatments you find on YouTube after a major breakup or more than 2 glasses of wine.
Do we really have to elaborate on this?
15. Don’t be afraid to spend money on yourself.
Buying quality skin care products is a must if you want to have great looking skin. But just as important is spending a few extra dollars on facial treatments. Not only does this keep skin healthy, but it gives you confidence and a little bit of much pampering.
16. What’s good for the face is good for the neck.
In other words, don’t forget to take care of your neck. Anything that you use on your face as an anti-aging measure, should also be applied to your neck.
Do you have any advice to offer?