It shouldn’t come as a surprise that our lips are exposed to the sun more minutes throughout our entire lives than nearly any other part of the body. A trendy sun hat and stylish sunglasses may protect the forehead, eyelids and nose, but we don’t tend to cover up our lips. Sunlight, specifically the UV rays that our skin is exposed to daily, creates oxidative damage, resulting in dryness and wrinkles. While younger, healthier-looking lips are full and naturally moistened, dry, wrinkled lips tend to give the appearance of age.
So how can we avoid having our lips become dry and damaged and keep them young, full and healthy? It is important to develop habits that protect our lips from sunlight exposure, such as:
- Use sunscreen daily on the lips, even beneath lipstick
- Wear broad brimmed hats at the beach or while working in the garden
- Avoid cigarettes
- Eat healthy, drink lots of water and get adequate sleep to allow for the daily restoration and repair of sun exposed skin
- Use a high quality lip treatment, such as Theraderm Anti-Aging Lip Complex
Theraderm Anti-Aging Lip Complex is more effective than a lip balm. Lip balms often utilize a wax base to protect our lips from drying or chapping. Their function is to either comfort our lips or to allow healing AFTER cracking occurs. Theraderm Anti-Aging Lip Complex:
- Has active ingredients that protect without using wax
- Repairs the skin on our lips
- Reduces wrinkle lines that may have already started
- Moisturizes the skin to actually PREVENT dryness or cracking
- Contains ingredients that promote water absorption into the lip tissues, giving lips a “plumped up” appearance with increased volume
By giving our lips the attention they deserve, we can not only reclaim our youthful, full, healthy lips, but we can also flash a smile with confidence the next time someone asks us how young we are.