The internet is a wonderful place that puts all kinds of beauty tips and tricks at our fingertips. Unfortunately, some of the information out there should be ignored. Not only are some of these said tips not proven to work, but some can actually harm you! Remember the Kylie Jenner lip plumping fiasco? Yeah, us too.
Check out our list of useless tricks that aren’t worth your time:
1. Skipping moisturizer when you have oily skin.
When you wash your face, the healthy oils are washed away along with the dirt and grime. When your skin feels dry, it will secrete more oils to make up for what was lost. This just puts you right back where you started -- if not worse.
2. Using a harsh exfoliator every time you wash your face.
Sounds like a plan until you realize you have damaged your skin.
3. Replacing face washing with cleanser towelettes.
Makeup wipes are good in a pinch, but they are not good to use every time you wash your face.
Have you seen the glitter trend of glittering eyelids, eyebrows and facial hair? A little sparkle is fine, but the stuff can easily get in your eyes and nobody has time for that.
5. Using lipgloss and lipstick as eye makeup.
If you like sticky goop with little pigment, then go for it. Otherwise, if you like coral, fushia or purple eyeshadow, there are plenty of real options out there.
6. Using glue to remove blackheads.
While it may work, do you really want those polymers and other chemicals on your face?
7. Melting your eyeliner to make it soft.
Do we really have to explain this one?
8. DIY overload
While we certainly aren’t against a little DIY, a girl can overdo it. There are plenty affordable brands of makeup that you can try instead.
9. Popping pimples so they go away more quickly.
We know it is hard. But popping them can cause scarring and can actually cause them to spread.
10. Washing your hair with beer.
Instead, use a product that contains beer. Why pour a perfectly good beer down the drain?
11. Trying a bold eye and a bold lip, at the same time.
It’s all about finding balance, ladies. You can do one, but you can’t do both.
12. Laying in a tanning bed for a “little color.”
Or a large, increased chance for melanoma.
13. Putting lemons on your face.
This has become a hot trend, however, the acids in lemon juice can damage your skin in the long run. It can strip all the healthy oils which can lead to irritation and redness.
14. Brushing your hair 100 strokes.
What’s good for Marsha Brady doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good for everyone. Excessive brushing causes hair to break and actually strips it of natural oils.
15. Trying DIY lip plumping measures.
Since we mentioned Kylie Jenner above - we had to mention that no one should ever try to plump their lips with a shot glass. There are too many reputable products on the market to risk that.
16. Washing your makeup brushes in the dishwasher.
No one really does this, right? The food particles, the chemicals and the mediocre wash should be enough to convince anyone to not do this.
Have you tried any beauty tips that were useless?